Play Fair 2008 calls upon all governments to:
- Facilitate the right of workers to form and join independent trade unions and engage in bona fide collective bargaining by the immediate ratification (where they are not ratified) and full application of all relevant ILO Conventions
- Implement policies that promote socially responsible behaviour in international business activity, including the ILO Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy and, where relevant, the OECD Guidelines for Multinational enterprises.
- Promote respect for workers’ rights in international and bilateral treaties and trade agreements, and through international organisations such as the International Labour Organisation as well as other relevant UN bodies and intergovernmental organisations.
- Promote a role for the ILO in making codes of labour practice more effective.
- Adopt a procurement policies that guarantee respect for worker’s rights
In addition Play Fair 2008 calls upon the Chinese government to:
- Live up to the promise made on securing the Olympics to improve human rights. (What was the promise? In May 2001, the mayor of Beijing, Liu Qi pledged that by hosting the games, "social progress and economic development" in China and Beijing would move forward, as would China’s human rights situation, (source AFP, 14 July 2001).
- Maximise the benefits of the Olympics for the Chinese people
- Ratify and fully implement ILO conventions 87 and 98
- End labour rights abuses such as discrimination against or harassment, dismissal or detention of labour activists
- Implement and monitor existing and impending labour laws and regulations, including those governing employment contracts, wages and basic protections for workers, ending the culture of impunity for companies breaking labour laws and government officials complicit in this
- Commit to serious and sustained improvement in health and safety at work.
- End the systematic discrimination of domestic migrant workers
- Abolish the Re-education through Labour (RTL) system.
- Release all detained labour activists.