Should governments also be playing a role in ensuring that these rights are respected?
Yes, absolutely. PlayFair 2008 believes that governments should:
- Facilitate the right of workers to form and join independent trade unions and engage in bona fide collective bargaining by the immediate ratification (where they are not ratified) and full application of all relevant ILO Conventions
- Implement policies that promote socially responsible behaviour in international business activity, including the ILO Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy and, where relevant, the OECD Guidelines for Multinational enterprises.
- Promote respect for workers’ rights in international and bilateral treaties and trade agreements, and through international organisations such as the International Labour Organisation as well as other relevant UN bodies and intergovernmental organisations.
- Promote a role for the ILO in making codes of labour practice more effective.
- Adopt a procurement policies that guarantee respect for worker’s rights